Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Hello Darkness, My Old Friend *

So, ALLEGEDLY, I graduated with a B.A. in Journalism from Indiana University a month ago.

I KNOW, I don't believe it either, but I do have pictures to prove it.


And on that day, the sun shone down from the heavens as if to say "behold this miracle, and bask in the glow of scholastic achievment and ungodly amounts of student loans."


My parents may hold more degrees than me, but check out who's got the height advantage (note: if everyone else can wear stupid wedge shoes this summer, then so can I, people. So can I).


In front of Memorial Stadium, where football games are lost and dreams are crushed.


I didn't even get to sit on the floor of Assembly Hall-I'm in the very first row. Can you see me??!?!!??!?!


At the pre-ceremony School of Journalism reception, in the basement of Memorial Hall. I don't know; it was nice, but had this kind of "air-raid shelter" feel to it.


These banners were rolled out just in time for graduation...I can't shake the feeling that they're a mean-spirited jab at people in Telecomm, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.


Why, thank you Indiana Memorial Union!!


Sniff sniff...


Wow, the J-school is ugly. If I ever get employed somewhere, perhaps I'll donate money (or working lightbulbs...I mean, come on).


Ernie Pyle Hall got all multi-media all of a sudden, with like 8,000 flat screen tv's everywhere. i can't help but think this money could be better spent (note: see above).


Who needs the Trevi Fountain?


Awkward smile, check. Squinting eyes, check. Naked mermaid in background, check. This is "America's Next Top Model" material, folks.


Shockingly, the path did not burst into flames when I stepped onto it.


The air-conditioning units ruin the look just a tad...


It's ART, people, don't question it (I never went inside the art museum, does that make me a bad Hoosier?!?!?)


Umm, Memorial Hall? Maybe? I forget...and I had at least 4 classes there. Whatever. I'm beginning to see why it took me so long to graduate. I don't pay attention, and I have a terrible memory. Not conducive to scholarly pursuits.


Sometimes I force my parents to pose in front of the Sample Gates and THEY WILL LIKE IT.


Look, this was taken the day after my 8 billion finals ended. This is what 6 hours of sleep in 7 days looks like. SEXY AS ALL HELL.


Where all the dirty pseudo-hippies and scary teenage townies know your name.


I made my parents walk all the way over to Swain East and West so I could show the buildings how much I hate them and the math/science that goes on there. Take THAT Swain buildings, I hate you, you're gross (especially you, East; I did NOT appreciate that 3 hour astronomy class last semester).


Remember when my mom and I came to visit the campus and we thought that when everyone talked about the Sample Gates they meant some kind of gate replica, a sort of architectural hors d' ouevre (pretend that's the correct spelling, I'm a college graduate and FAR too busy to check)? I still don't know who Sample is.


Awww, Kirkwood.


"After $1382138238121823889 spent in tuition, the Billinsons now own all of Bloomington!"


I still love the Student Building, although I could have done without the freezer in the zoology lab, the very one that contained all the dead animals. deciding to quit working on the hottest day of last semester. The smell that wafted up to the third floor and disturbed my anthropology class was just as awesome as you might expect.


My college campus is prettier than yours, ha ha ha


The creepy-ass Herman B. Wells statue (hey Eric, remember when I made you pose with him in the snow?!!??!).


I am not at all amused by this photo session.


Behold, the shock and awe.





Seriously, did anyone actually believe they would let me graduate? I sure as hell did not. I think I have about 674839 e-mails between me and SOJ advisors saved because every hour for the last 5 years, a different problem came up and threatened to make me a permanent undergrad.





*If you got the Simon & Garfunkel/"The Graduate" reference, you win at life. Let's get married and have pop-culturally aware babies!

No comments: