Sunday, September 24, 2006

I, too, kinda like the Beatles

Aaaaaaany excuse for a picture of Mr. Harrison. Shameless, really.

Hello! Did all you chosen folk have a happy Rosh Hashanah? Did anyone else get honey in their hair? No? Just me, then? Ok, moving right along!

So today I would like to discuss something that's been bothering me, and it has to do with the Three Dog Night song "Never Been To Spain". I KNOW, you have all probably discussed this to death ( I mean, show me one person who doesn't like a good lyrical analysis of a classic TGN song), but humor me, k? Let's look at the lyrics:

Well I never been to Spain
But I kinda like the music
Say the ladies are insane there
And they sure know how to use it
They don't abuse it
Never gonna lose it
I can't refuse it (Ok, makes sense, Spanish music is nice, I guess, plus I adore the little internal-ish rhyme with Spain and insane, so carry on)

Well I never been to England
But I kinda like the Beatles... (sure, the Beatles were from England, makes sense again)

Well I never been to Heaven
But I been to Oklahoma (uuuuuhhhh....WHAT?)

GRANTED, I have never been to Oklahoma. I have, however, lived in the Midwest for 5 years, and have spent time in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, and Missouri. And I assure you, heaven is not located in the middle of this country. Corn, yes. Redneck waiters who will make anti-Semitic comments, sure (what up, Louisville). An abundance of Klan members, of course. But heaven? Nooooooo.

Please explain this song to me. No, really, cause it's killing me.

No comments: