Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Lohans make me all political-like

So I'm sick and have spent the day in bed sniffling, watching Denise Richards whine about whether or not she should do Playboy (her show EXHAUSTS me, for real) and worrying about Ali Lohan dealing with mean girls. In between, I caught last night's Daily Show, featuring my very own senator, Jim Webb of Virginia. Now, Senator Webb is not an entirely charismatic fellow. And I'm more than a little troubled by his hair. But I'm willing to overlook that because as he was talking about the crap he's getting from across the aisle in his attempt to pass the new GI Bill, I felt compelled to leap through my TV and throw my arms around the poor guy.

I'm an opinionated lady (this shocks you, I know), but I hesitate to talk politics here as often as I used to. I don't want to ostracize people, I don't want anyone to feel like I judge them for their political leanings. But this? INFURIATES ME. If you think that Democrats have some crazy ulterior motive of wanting to take troops away from a "war" (it's not even a war, and I can't stress that enough, no vote from Congress, our fearless leader found a loophole, etc., etc.) that they don't favor, then you, my friend, are crazy. If anything, it would provide a much-needed incentive to enlist when the idea of being sent on 84 consecutive tours of duty doesn't seem so appealing.

My grandfather was 17 when he had to turn down an acceptance from Julliard (he was a drummer-we had bad-assedness in my family even back in the 40's!) to go to Italy and fight. When he returned from the war, the GI Bill paid for him to go to medical school and become an OB/GYN. The bill gave him the chance to (somewhat) make up for the time and resources he lost while serving his country. That's what the new bill would do.

I don't ask this facetiously, I have been groping for an answer to this all day and legitimately want to know: EXACTLY what does the administration mean when they talk about the need to support the troops? Because they don't support them by giving them proper equipment. They don't support them by honoring contracts made with soldiers regarding the length of time they are to serve. They don't support them by providing adequate care after they are injured (hey, Walter Reed). And they don't support them by offering this one incentive in return for their service. Is it the magnetic yellow ribbons on cars? Is that how we're supporting the troops? Alright.

No comments: